Apr 18, 2016
SPRINGFIELD, Mass.--Western New England University scored three times in the bottom of the eighth inning to hand Keene State College a 6-3 defeat at Trelease Park on Monday afternoon.
- Keene State: 11-14
- Western New England: 20-5
- Keene State returns home to host Plymouth State University at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday afternoon.
- The Golden Bears travel to Union College (N.Y.) on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
How It Happened
- Keene State scored three runs in the first inning, but would not score again as four Western New England relievers combined for 5 2/3 innings for scoreless ball.
- Christian Bourgea was 3-for-5 with a double, Billy Hartmann had two hits, and Trevor Chapin was 1-for-3 with an RBI and two walks. KSC starter Tim Coppinger went seven innings, allowing three runs and striking out four.
- Bourgea had a two out single in the first inning, and scored on Chapin's double to left. After the first of two WNE errors in the inning, Vinny Parilla singled in another run, and another WNE error made it 3-0.
- WNE pulled within one in the bottom of the second on RBI singles by Ben Lacroix and Steve Rivela. Coppinger kept the Golden Bears off the scoreboard until the seventh inning, retiring six straight over the third and fourth innings.
- The Golden Bears tied the game in the seventh when Alex Loparco singled and scored on a sacrifice fly from Kevin Marciano. WNE went ahead for good in the eighth, scoring three times off reliever Steve Zadravec.
- With two out, Loparco doubled in pinch runner Brett Morgan, then scored on a single by Erik Lacaire. Lacaire made it 6-3, scampering home on a wild pitch.