AUBURNDALE, Fla.--Junior Michael Wasserman struck out a career high seven in his first start of the season as the Keene State College baseball team defeated Becker College, 7-5, at Lake Myrtle Park on Monday.
- Keene State: 2-4
- Becker: 2-3
How It Happened
Freshman Connor Walsh made his first collegiate start and had two hits and two RBI. Devin Springfield also had two hits, and John Tarascio had three hits. Wasserman went 5.1 innings, striking out seven and allowing just two earned runs. Steven Zadravec recorded three Ks in 2.2 innings of relief, and Michael McDermott tossed a perfect ninth with two strikeouts to earn his first career save.
After the Hawks opened the game with a three run top of the first, Keene State took the lead back with a four run first. Tarascio led off with a double to right-center, and took third on a wild pitch. After Nate Rossi drew a walk, Tarascio came home on another wild pitch. Christian Bourgea singled through the right side to bring in Rossi, and Springfield singled and Walsh walked to load the bases.
Steve Martel drew a walk with the bases loaded to tie the game, and the third wild pitch of the inning brought in Walsh. KSC added two more runs in the second. Bourgea and Springfield drew walks, and Walsh singled through the left side to bring them both around.
Solo homers from Niko Bedell in the fourth and Chris Testa in the eighth got two runs back. KSC had added a seventh run in the bottom of the seventh when pinch-runner Zach Wullbrandt scored on an error.
McDermott did not let Becker in the game in the ninth, striking out both Kevin Perez and Tanyon Ventres and getting Bedell to fly out to right.
Around the Horn
- The Owl offense continues to improve, as KSC has had at least eight hits in every game this season.
- Devin Springfield extended his hitting streak to six games. He has two hits in each of his last three contests.
- Sophomore David Sevigny made his first career appearance, coming as a pinch runner in the seventh inning.
- Keene State takes on SUNY Plattsburgh on March 14 at 2 p.m. in Lakeland, Fla.
- Becker will face RPI on March 14.