AUBURNDALE, Fla.--The Keene State College baseball team dropped both ends of a doubleheader to Gordon College, 13-3 and 12-2, at Lake Myrtle Sports Park No. 1.
- Keene State: 4-4
- Gordon: 3-6
How it Happened - Game One
The Owls took a 1-0 lead in the first inning on Nate Rossi's solo homer to left-center, but the Scots went in front for good with a four run third inning. Dan Quint tied the game with a sacrifice fly to right, followed by RBI singles from Erik Gauer and Travis Benoit and a bases loaded walk to John Lagerfelt.
Gordon added four more runs in each of the fifth and sixth innings to extend the lead to 12-1. Keene State pulled two runs back in the bottom of the sixth inning, loading the bases on a walk to Rossi, a single by Devin Springfield, and David Sevigny was hit by a pitch. John Tarascio singled in two runs with a hit to left-center.
Shawn O'Donnell (0-2) took the loss, allowing four runs in 2.2 innings work, striking out four. Ryan Sliwinski, Dylan Bogacz, Bobby Baril, and Michael McDermott all saw time out of the bullpen. Derek Hudson (1-2) tossed a complete game for Gordon, allowing five hits and striking out five.
Tarascio had two hits for KSC, while Rossi, Springfield, and Connor Walsh each had one.
How it Happened - Game Two
Gordon scored six times in the first inning and never looked back. The Scots tacked on five more in the third for an 11-0 lead before the Owls got on the board in the top of the fourth. Devin Springfield led off the inning with a walk and moved to third on Connor Walsh's double before David Sevigny brought him around with a sacrifice fly. Back-to-back singles from Tom Meucci and Tim O'Halloran set the table for Tarascio, who brought in O'Halloran with a single through the left side.
Steve Zadravec (0-1) was saddled with the loss, going the first three innings of the game. Greg Poggioli went the final three, striking out four and not allowing a hit. Walsh had two hits for the Owls.
Around the Horn
- Walsh increased his average to a team high .433, and is hitting 9-for-16 (.563) in his last four games.
- Walsh and Springfield have reached base in every game this season.
- Zadravec was making his first career start after 27 relief appearances in his KSC career.
- The Owls continue their set of games in the Sunshine State with a game against Bowdoin College on March 15 at 1:30 p.m.
- The Scots close out their games in Florida with a doubleheader against Crown College (Minn.), beginning at 3:30 p.m. on March 15.