SALEM, Mass. - The Keene State College men's lacrosse team won their fourth straight LEC game of the season, thrashing Salem State 25-5 on Saturday afternoon.
- Keene State: 5-5 (4-0 LEC)
- Salem State: 3-6 (1-2 LEC)
How It Happened
Keene State kept their LEC dominance going, as they outscored the Vikings 11-1 in the first quarter. Steve Hamel got the scoring started coming off a JJ Downey assist. Dave Wiedenfeld then scored off a Connor Nolan feed. Max Thurston quickly followed with a goal off a Wiedenfeld assist, before Anthony Marcella scored two quick goals to give KSC an early 5-0 advantage. Joe Nutting and Jordan Caito added to KSC's big early lead, before the hosts got on the board with a Zach Persson goal. The Owls responded right back with four straight to end the quarter, as Connor Nolan, Jordan Caito, Chase Tanner and Ben Bunnell extended the lead to ten at the end of one.
The Owls kept their feet on the gas in the second quarter, as they rang off seven straight goals. Shane Molloy scored off a Marcella feed, before Caito grabbed two more goals in succession. Justin Norris, Max Thurston and Liam Flanagan then scored right after to bring KSC's lead to 17-1. At the 2:49 mark, Bobby Carey found the net off a John Morgan feed, before Salem State broke up the run. Jake Lamoureux beat the Owls defense with a goal and with 15 second to go in the half, Caito grabbed his fifth of the game to give the visitors a huge 19-2 edge.
The scoring slowed in the third quarter, as KSC outscored Salem State 4-0. John Morgan scored unassisted and Alec Dawson quickly followed with a goal. At the 6:49 mark, Soren Frantz scored his first career goal before Paxton Blanchard added a goal off a John Morgan pass. Salem State started off the fourth quarter with three straight goals, Drew Worthley started the run for the Vikings, followed up by goals from Dan Xu and Worthley again. The Owls scored the final two, as Chris Bertone found the back of the net and Dawson added another, to give KSC a 25-5 victory on the road.
Inside the Crease
- Jordan Caito led KSC with five goals. Anthony Marcella had two goals and three assists, while John Morgan had one goal and three helpers.
- The Owls picked up goals from 18 different players. 25 goals is the highest scoring total for KSC this season.
- Chase Chamberlin picked up the win in one quarter of action. Alex Fawcett (one save), JJ Tinney, and Will Kane (four saves) all saw 15 minutes of action as well for KSC.
- Drew Worthley scored two goals for the Vikings, while Stephen Balcher had seven saves in the loss.
- Matthew Lemke led the Owls with 15 ground balls. Chase Tanner scooped up four.
- Keene State outshot the Vikings 49-18.
- Keene State travels to Castleton on Tuesday, April 9 for a 7:00 p.m. start.
- Salem State heads to UMass Boston on Wednesday, April 10 for a 7:00 p.m. start.