KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State men's soccer team hands Eastern Connecticut State University their first loss of the 2018 season, with a 1-0 victory to open Little East Conference action Saturday afternoon.
- Keene State: 3-3-0, 1-0-0 LEC
- Eastern Connecticut: 4-1-0, 0-1-0 LEC
How It Happened
ECSU came out from the starting whistle on the attack. The Warriors got their first shot and corner kick within the first two minutes of action. The Owls would go on the attack for the next 15 minutes of play. Keene fired eight shots and had one corner compared to just Eastern shot. The play would slow down until halftime.
The Owls was given the 1-0 lead to being the second half, as Eastern Connecticut passed the ball back to their back line, and their center back headed the ball back into their own net for an own goal. Following the goal, the Warriors would go on the offensive. Off of a free kick Eastern had back-to-back shots inside the box, the first one ricocheted off the crossbar and was followed up with a shot sailing left. Following the chance for ECSU, the Owls had an opportunity of their own as a Connor Downey's shot goes high, and then KSC had back-to-back. Keene kept the pressure on the Warriors' defense as they had three more close-range shots.
Eastern Connecticut would have their best scoring chance of the afternoon in the 59th minute, as Isaiah Lovering made a defensive save following a shot by Eastern's Max Parent inside the goalie box. Down the final stretch, the Owls would have five shots that sailed on the Keene State forwards.
Inside the Box
- The Owls had the advantage in the shots department, 20-8, and the teams split the four corner kicks in today's matchup.
- Gavin Fitzpatrick collected his first career shutout for the Owls, despite not registering a stop. His counterpart, Ryan Murphy made five stops for the Warriors.
- With the victory, KSC expands their all-time series lead to 21-4-7.
- With the goal in today's game, the Owls snap a 234:45 scoreless streak.
- Keene State returns home as they host Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute on Wednesday, September 19 with a 4 p.m. start time.
- Eastern Connecticut heads back home as they welcome St. Joseph's (L.I.) on Tuesday, September at 4 p.m.