KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State College men's soccer team remains undefeated in Little East Conference action, as they defeat Plymouth State University 3-1 on Saturday afternoon.
- Keene State: 8-3-0, 4-0-0 LEC
- Plymouth State: 3-5-2, 1-3-1 LEC
How It Happened
The Owls scored on their first shot of the game. 4:35 into the opening half, Connor Downey played the ball down the far sideline. Downey was able to stop on a dime and cross the ball into the middle finding the foot of a trailing Wesley McIntosh and drove it into the lower left corner of the cage. Keene State would not take their foot off the gas, as the host peppered the Plymouth State goalie with eight shots in the first half, six on target. KSC would expand on their lead in the 39th minute as Jacob Chiza launched a counter attack for the Owls, blasting the ball downfield, finding a streaking Emmanuel Smith in the middle of the field. Smith put the host up 2-0 with a high arcing shot from the top of the box and bouncing in the net.
Both sides exchanged chances in their respective offensive zones, as Keene State nearly outshot the Panthers in the second half 8-6. Smith would pick up his second goal of the contest with just under eight minutes remaining on the clock. Benny Tamzarian sent a through ball that was nearly intercepted by a Plymouth State defender but found the left foot of Smith, who snuck his shot just inside the left post. The Panthers would eventually break into the scoring column with 34 seconds on the clock. Erikk Armskog sent a pass down the left sideline, finding a streaking Joni Hongisto. Hongisto was able to score on the near post.
Inside the Box
- Pasciutocorralled three stops for the Owls, while his counterpart Linus Lindeberg picked up nine saves for the Panthers.
- The Owls outshot the Panthers 14-9 and held a 9-3 advantage in corners.
- Following Keene State 3-1 victory, the Owls trail in the all-time series 24-25-2.
- With a pair of goals tonight, Smith runs his point streak to four games, where he has scored three goals and three assists.
- Keene State has now won six games in a row, which is the longest winning streak since 2010.
- The Owls are 4-0-0 in Little East Conference play for the first time since 2010.
- Keene State returns continues LEC play, as the Owls hit the road to take on Southern Maine on Wednesday, October 10 for a 6 p.m. start time.
- Plymouth State returns home as they host LEC foe Castleton on Wednesday, starting at 3:30 p.m.