BOSTON, Mass. – An overtime goal from Julio DaSilva lifts the University of Massachusetts Boston past the Keene State College men's soccer team in the Little East Conference regular-season finale.
- Keene State: 12-5-0, 6-2-0 LEC
- UMass Boston: 8-9-2, 5-1-2 LEC
How It Happened
Keene State put the pressure on in the opening moments of the game, picking up a corner kick in the first 20 seconds. Both teams exchanged chances over the next few minutes until Emmanuel Smith put the Owls up 1-0 in the 19th minute. Smith connected on a header, scoring to the near post, with the assist going to both LJ Luster and Jacob Chiza. Both sides were not able to get an offensive series to establish following the goal before the end of the first half. KSC outshot the Beacons 8-4 in the opening frame.
UMass Boston came out of the half on the attack as they host fired three shots on goal, but was stopped by Anthony Pasciuto. The Owls flipped the script in the 70th minute as Keene State established their offense with seven shots, but was denied four times by Omar Castro-Dreher with back-to-back fingertip saves. The Beacons scored the equalizer in the 85th minute, as UMass Boston was awarded a free kick. Yuran Teixeira capitalized on the awarded penalty kick, to tie the game. Keene State had two more chances, but could not take the lead before the end of regulation.
DaSilva picked up the game-winning goal 1:48 into the first overtime period, as the sophomore roofed the shot following the cross from Estevao Gomes.
Inside the Box
- Pasciuto made three saves for Keene State.
- Castro-Dreher picked up 10 stops for the hosts.
- The Owls outshot the Beacons 19-11 and maintained a 7-5 advantage in corner kicks.
- Keene State will wait and see whom they take on as they secured the number two seed and a first round bye in the Little East Tournament.
- UMass Boston clinched the number three seed in the Little East Conference tournament and will take on the six seed on Tuesday, October 30th.