KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State women's lacrosse program suffered a setback against nationally-ranked Amherst College, 16-3, at the Owl Athletic Complex on Wednesday evening.
- Keene State: 0-3, 0-0 LEC
- No. 8 Amherst: 1-1, 0-1 NESCAC
How It Happened
Freshman Gabby Smith scored her first and second career goals in her third collegiate game for a team-high two goals. Freshman Tess Masci added one goal for the Owls, as junior Tara Kilderry picked up a game-high four ground balls.
The Purple & White used 10 different goal scorers to defeat Keene State, as Claire Cagnassola held a team-high three goals and three assists, while Kate Wyeth tallied three goals and one assist.
Amherst took control early and rattled off seven unanswered goals, led by two goals and three assists from Cagnassola, to grab a 7-0 advantage, before junior Taylor Farland dished out a pass to Smith to put the Owls on the board with 19:37 on the clock. The Purple & White countered by adding four straight goals from four different players to take a commanding 11-1 lead heading into the locker room.
Keene State scored two of the first three goals in the second half off to cut the deficit to single digits, as Smith found the back of the net in a free position shot and Masci caught a feed from sophomore Chelsea Lewis and buried a shot with 22:49 remaining in the stanza. Amherst responded with two free position goals of their own from Julia Crerend and Wyeth, before netting the final two goals of the game to finalize the score at 16-3, Amherst.
Inside the Crease
- Amherst held a 28-10 shot advantage over Keene State.
- Farland finished with a team-high four draw controls, as Lewis followed with two.
- Senior Alison Argiro registered six saves in net over 52:22 minutes of play, while sophomore Anna O'Brien played the final 7:38.
- In net for the visitors, Kyra Gardner made two stops in just under 40 minutes of action, while Talia Land recorded one save in the remaining minutes.
- Keene State will travel to Wheaton on Friday, March 10th, for a 4 p.m. start against the Lyons.
- Amherst will open their home schedule on Saturday, March 11th, when the Purple & White welcome Bates for a 2 p.m. tilt.