PROVIDENCE, R.I. - Behind a career-high eight points from sophomore Chelsea Lewis and a career-high five points from freshman Gabby Smith, the Keene State women's lacrosse program cruised to a 14-2 victory over Rhode Island College in Little East Conference (LEC) action on Thursday evening at Alumni Field.
- Keene State: 4-8, 2-0 LEC
- RIC: 2-6, 0-1 LEC
How It Happened
Lewis recorded four goals and four assists to total the career-high eight points, while Smith registered three goals and two assists for a career-best five points. Senior Kelly Chadnick also chipped in four goals and senior Taylor Graf had one goal and three assists.
For RIC, Tess Bradley tallied an unassisted goal, as Jessica Trautman added one goal with an assist from Julia Eaton.
The Anchorwomen were first to find the back of the net, as Bradley scored an unassisted goal. The Owls responded by firing off 11 consecutive goals, with Lewis and Chadnick leading the way with four goals apiece to close out the first stanza with a 11-1 advantage going into the break.
Keene State opened up the second half by striking twice, as Lewis connected with Graf to extend the lead to 12-1 with 26:23 to go, before Lewis found Smith, to add one more to the Keene State side. RIC broke their scoring drought with 15:06 remaining, as Trautman recorded one, but Meghan McIntosh would score the final tally for either side, as the freshman registered her first collegiate goal for the Owls in the final nine seconds off a feed from Smith for the 14-2 victory.
Inside the Crease
- In the net, senior Alison Argiro made one save for Keene State in 30 minutes of play, as sophomore Anna O'Brien closed out the contest. For RIC, Eaton had 16 stops in all 60 minutes of action.
- Junior Tori Weinstock pickup a season-high eight ground balls with three draw controls and two caused turnovers, while junior Tara Kilderry added four ground balls and two caused turnovers, followed by two ground balls and four caused turnovers for senior Gretchen Faulstich.
- Keene State held a dominating 36-4 edge over RIC and scooped up 39 ground balls to the Anchorwomen's 18, as the defensive line held RIC to only four shots.
- The Owls will celebrate Senior Day this coming Saturday, April 15th, when Keene State hosts Eastern Connecticut State in a LEC contest beginning at noon.
- The Anchorwomen will welcome Southern Maine on Saturday at 1:00 p.m.