NEWPORT, R.I. - The Keene State women's soccer program opened the 2016 season with a win in a non-conference match-up at Salve Regina on Thursday afternoon.
- Keene State: 1-0
- Salve Regina: 0-1
- The Owls will continue non-conference play with a visit to Endicott College on Saturday, Sept. 3rd for a 1:00 p.m. start time.
- The Seahawks head to Worcester State for a 12:00 p.m. game.
Tale of the Tape
- This was the season opener for both teams.
- The Owls have won both meetings all-time with identical 2-1 scores. The previous meeting also came in a season opener (August 30, 2014).
- The meeting was the first for Keene State alumnae and current Salve Regina head coach Jane Walsh against her alma mater and former head coach Denise Lyons.
- Keene State produced a 45-23-6 overall record during Walsh's three seasons (2010-2012).
- The Owls held an overall shot advantage over the Seahawks of 14-9, with Keene State placing eight shots on goal to the Seahawks seven.
First Half Highlights
- Keene State's first chances of the match came in the 22nd and 23rd minute, as Julia Pearson's shot went high and senior Sierra Trzepacz's chance went wide to the right.
- Salve Regina's Ella Rath struck first in the 25th minute with a shot place in the top right corner to make the score 0-1, Seahawks.
- Keene State's freshman Kirsten Youngstrom came back with a goal in the 43rd minute, after she collected a rebound from Pearson.
- Senior Danielle Warhall tabbed four saves in the half for the Owls.
Second Half Highlights
- Beginning in the 69th minute, Keene State fired three shots in three minutes, as two of junior Taylor Farland's shots and one from Pearson were all saved by Salve Regina's goalkeeper Carly Pala.
- In the 82nd minute, Pearson scored her second career goal to lift the Owls past the Seahawks.
- The Owls held the Seahawks to only two shots during the half, as attempts by Leah Siefring and Delaney Maxwell were both saved by Warhall.
(Parts of this release courtesy of Salve Regina Athletics)