WESTFIELD, Mass. - Senior Julia Pearson scored the game-deciding goal just 4:55 into the first half, as the Keene State women's soccer program blanked Westfield State, 1-0, in non-conference action on Wednesday night at Alumni Field for the KSC Owls' third straight victory.
- Keene State: 5-1, 1-0 LEC
- Westfield State: 2-2-2, 1-0 MASCAC
How It Happened
Keene State opened the game in the fifth minute, when Pearson collected a rebound off a shot from senior Katie Silegy to give the Owls an early advantage. Senior Taylor Farland looked to double Keene State's lead in the 24th minute, but the WSU Owls' goalkeeper Natalie Falcone was able to make the save. Keene State aimed to strike again, but junior Patricia Norton's header off a Silegy corner kick was blocked in the 34th minute.
Westfield State fired off multiple shots in the opening 10 minutes of the second half, but the home team could not find the back of the net, as freshman goalkeeper Abbie Terrinca registered two saves during the first minutes of play, before recording back-to-back saves in the 66th minute, when Bella Eduardo and Michaela St. Cyr tested the rookie with shots just four seconds apart. Keene State responded less than a minute later, but Pearson's shot was blocked.
Inside the Box
- Terrinca made a career-high 10 saves to earn her second consecutive shutout, while Falcone recorded one save.
- Westfield State owned a 20-9 edge in shots over Keene State.
- Four of the Owls' six games this season have been decided by one goal, with Keene State coming out on top three of the four times.
- Keene State will travel to Western Connecticut State for their second Little East Conference (LEC) game on Saturday, September 23rd with kick-off at 1:00 p.m.
- Westfield State will wrap up their four-game home series with a MASCAC matchup against MCLA at 11:00 a.m.