KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State women's soccer program scored six goals in the first half from five different student-athletes, as the Owls cruised past the University of Southern Maine 7-0 in Little East Conference (LEC) play on Saturday afternoon at the Owl Athletic Complex.
- Keene State: 6-3, 2-1 LEC
- Southern Maine: 2-7, 0-3 LEC
How It Happened
Keene State was quick to grab the lead, as senior Kali Santino scored at the 1:19 mark, off a long pass from the backline sent in by senior Zoe Paige. In the 14th minute, Santino netted another, as the midfielder collected a pass from senior Taylor Farland and sent a high ball sailing towards the net, as the shot tucked just under the crossbar and past an outstretched Huskies goalkeeper Olivia Mull. Keene State picked up their third goal of the game, as senior Katie Silegy set up Farland in the box, who fired off a shot into the high left netting.
At the 34:44 mark, the Owls was awarded a penalty kick, which sophomore Quinn Dorogi converted to push Keene State's lead to four, as junior Stephanie Spitz buried an unassisted marker in 39th minute, after controlling the ball in the box and sending into the high left corner. Abigail Mazza looked to slow down Keene Statte in 40th minute, but her shot was tipped over the crossbar by Owls' goalkeeper Shelby Offord. Freshman Jordyn Abasciano responded by scoring her first collegiate goal just 3:14 later to make it 6-0, Keene State at the half.
Sophomore Nicole De Almeida concluded the game's scoring by registering her first collegiate goal and the only strike in the second half, as the defender beat Mull one-on-one and tucked her shot into the left corner with just 1:32 remaining on the clock to seal the commanding win for Keene State.
Inside the Box
- The Owls held a dominating 17-3 advantage in shots, while also earning four corner kicks to the Huskies' one.
- Between the pipes, freshman Shelby Offord make one save, as Mull picked up one and interecepted multiple Owls' crosses.
- This is first time since 2010 that the Owls have tallied two seven-goal games in a season, as Keene State also defeated Framingham State 7-0 on September 12th.
- Keene State will return to play on Tuesday, October 3rd for a 7:00 p.m. non-conference away tilt with Worcester State.
- Southern Maine will head home to take on Maine-Farmington on Wednesday, October 4th for a 4:00 p.m. kick-off.