WORCESTER, Mass. - The Keene State women's soccer team was edged in a non-conference contest by Worcester State, 1-0, on Tuesday everning.
- Keene State: 6-4-0, 2-1 LEC
- Worcester State: 7-3-2, 3-0 MASCAC
How It Happened
Just 15:40 into the first half, Worcester State received a free kick 57 yards out from the goal, as Justine Butler soared the ball into the air over the Keene defenders. Kaitlin Beluzo, Worcester State's leading scorer, rushed to the arching ball and forced Keene's goaltender freshman Abbie Terrinca to come out of the goal, from when Beluzo then shot the ball past for the 1-0 advantage. Freshman Sarah Carron aimed to even the score in the 39th minute, but the Lancers' goalkeeper Jill Zinkus was in place to make the save.
Both teams fought hard and battled in the second half. Keene State saw two scoring opportunities off free kicks from Katie Silegy and Quinn Dorogi - one of which Worcester's Zinkus pushed up and over the crossbar for the save in the 66th minute. The Owls found their last shot on net in the 73rd minute by senior Taylor Farland, despite holding possession of the ball for the majority of the second half. Worcester State concluded the contest with back-to-back shots from Tsara LeBlanc, and another set of shots from Maddie Fong and Beluzo in the last two minutes of regulation, that were all picked up the Owls' goalkeeper Shelby Offord.
Inside the Box
- For Keene State, the two rookie goalkeepers split time, as Terrinca stopped five and Offord registered six saves. For Worcester State, Zinkus made seven saves.
- The Lancers held a 22-12 shot advantage over the Owls, yet Keene State earned four corner kicks to Worcester State's three.
- Keene State's attack was led by Farland and Silegy who logged three shots each.
- Keene State returns to the Owl Athletic Complex on Thursday, October 5th for non-conference action with Salve Regina at 6:00 p.m.
- Worcester State will break until the weekend, when the Lancers play Bridgewater State at home on Saturday, October 7th at 3:00 p.m.
(Portions of this release courtesy of Worcester State Athletics)