DARTMOUTH, Mass. - Behind a pair of goals in each half, the Keene State women's soccer program cruised to a 4-1 victory over the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Saturday evening in the final regular season game.
- Keene State: 10-7-1, 5-2-0 LEC
- UMass Dartmouth: 4-15-1, 2-5-0 LEC
How It Happened
Senior Natalie Roca put the Owls on the board first with a strike in the 23rd minute, as the defender lofted a long ball from 35 yards out to put the Owls up by one. Just under four minutes later, senior Morgan Kathan brought the ball up the right side and chipped a pass into the middle that led to a right-footed finish by senior Katie Silegy. On a free-kick in the 33rd minute of the contest, UMass Dartmouth senior Alyssa Martins showed off her pinpoint precision by placing a ball into the upper-left corner of the net to put the Corsairs on the board.
The Owls capitalized on a Corsair hand-ball in the box in the 55th minute, as Silegy converted her penalty kick for her second goal of the match to help her squad retake a two-goal lead. Later on, Keene continued its offensive momentum as freshman midfielder Sarah Carron fired a shot from the left of the box and in for a 4-1 advantage. Shots by UMass Dartmouth's Jamie Nakarmua and Alexis Pacheco during the second half came close to narrowing the margin, but were turned away by visiting goalkeeper Shelby Offord.
Inside the Box
- Keene State outshot UMass Dartmouth, 13-10, and held the margin in corner kicks, 7-1.
- Between the pipes, Offord stopped four for the Owls, while Madison Boucher registered three saves for the Corsairs.
- Keene State has finished third or better in conference in the four of the past five years.
- #3 Keene State will host a LEC quarterfinal on Tuesday, October 31st at 6:00 p.m. and will welcome #6 UMass Dartmouth for a rematch of tonight's contest.
(Portions of this release courtesy of UMass Dartmouth)