NORTHAMPTON, Mass. - Four members of the Keene State track and field program registered post-season qualifying standards, as the Owls opened up the 2016-2017 campaign at the non-scoring Smith College Winter Classic on Saturday, hosted at the Smith Indoor Track and Tennis Facility.
- "It was a good non-scoring season opener. It is important to shake the rust off in the first meet or two in December. The team had great energy throughout the meet today. Based on this first meet I suspect that we are getting stronger in sprints and jumps this year. Our first batch of post-season qualifiers were in long jump, 60 meter dash, 400 meter dash, and 800m run. Our women's 4x400m relay squad looks strong this year. Breaking the 12-year old school record is just one of their goals this season. We will be looking for more qualifying marks next week at Plymouth State." -- Head Coach Tom Pickering
- First-year Angel Ramirez opened his collegiate career with a second place finish in the 200 meter dash in 23.55 seconds, followed by a 4th place finish in the 60 meter dash in 7.22 seconds, a New England Division III Championship time, and capped off the day with a 3rd place finish of 6.72 meters in the long jump, which qualifies the freshman for both the New England Division III Championship and the ECAC Championship meets.
- Sophomore Jared Hannah took fourth overall in the long jump with a leap of 6.44 meters, a New England Division III Championship qualifying mark, and turned in an eighth place finish in the 200 meter dash in 24.14 seconds.
- Junior Philip Parent crossed the line seventh in the 5000 meter run in 15:54.03 minutes.
- Senior Katelyn Terry crossed the line first in the 800 meter dash in a New England Division III Championship qualifying time of 2:26.08 minutes, followed by a second place finish in the one mile run in 5:26.14 minutes.
- Senior Lindsey Terry was runner-up in the 800 meter dash in 2:30.53 minutes and was fifth in the 400 meter dash in 1:01.72 minutes, a New England Division III Championship qualifying time.
- Senior Alyssa Lombardi took sixth overall in the 3000 meter run in 11:11.61 minutes.
- The team of K. Terry, L. Terry, sophomore Taylor Bisaillon and first-year Nicole De Almeida combined for first overall in the 4 x 400 meter relay in 4:11.44.
- The track and field team will head to Plymouth State for the Plymouth State Invitational, slated for 11:00 am.