WORCESTER, Mass.--The Keene State College volleyball team was handed its first loss of the season with a 3-0 (21-25, 14-25, 13-25) loss to Clark University on Friday night.
- Keene State: 15-1
- Clark: 9-6
How it Happened
Rachel Lamica moved into fourth place all-time on the all-time kills list at Keene State, recording 12 kills and hitting .200. Olivia Mathieu recorded a team high 11 digs, while Riley Bunker had nine. Bailey Wilson led the way with 23 assists and a pair of service aces.
The Owls took a 5-4 lead in the first set on a Clark service error, but the Cougars scored the next six points to take a 10-5 lead. Keene State closed to within one at 14-13 on a kill by Lamica, but the Cougars surged back in front, going up 20-16 on a KSC error and scoring the final five points to take the set.
Clark rolled out to an 11-2 lead in the second set and never looked back, going up 17-5 before the Owls rallied. Two kills from Lamica and a service ace by Bunker closed Keene State to within 19-13, but Clark went on a 6-1 run to end the set.
Keene State took a 6-5 lead in the third set on a Clark serving error, but another big run by the Cougars put them out in front. Clark went up 15-9 on a setting error, then 20-11 on a ace, and never looked back, taking set three 24-13.
- Lamica now sits on 1,099 kills, having passed Ellyse Davis for fourth place all-time. Next up is Angela Silveri, who totalled 1,347 kills from 2012-15.
- Keene State is now 1-1 against schools from Worcester, having beaten Worcester State on September 19. Keene State hosts WPI on October 7.
- It was the first meeting between the teams since 2013
- Keene State continues its road trip, travelling to No. 14 MIT on Saturday for a 2:30 p.m. first start.
- Clark is next in action on October 3, hosting Wellesley University at 7 p.m.