BIDDEFORD, Maine--A late comeback attempt fell short as the Keene State College field hockey team fell to No. 17 University of New England by a 5-3 score at Big Blue Turf on Saturday afternoon.
- Keene State: 1-1
- Univ. of New England: 1-0
How It Happened
Vonde Saunders and Olivia Madore put the hosts out to a 2-0 lead less than 12 minutes into the contest, with assists going to Brooke Lemerise and Kendra MacDonald , respectively.
However, the Owls (1-1) countered just 50 seconds later, as Erica Chareth put in a feed from Nina Bruno. The 2-1 spread held until halftime, with Keene State maintaining a 6-4 edge in shots despite trailing 5-1 in penalty corners.
- Keene State has now split its opening two matches for the third year in a row. Keene State has not beaten the Nor'Easters since a 2-1 win in Keene on August 30, 2014.
- It was Babbit's fifth career game with two goals, having done so twice each as a freshman and sophomore. Today's brace gave her 20 goals for her career.
- Freshman Paige Noble made her collegiate debut in the cage, playing the first 4:14 of the second half and making one save.
- Keene State heads back to New Hampshire to host Framingham State University in the Owls' home and Little East Conference opener on September 6 at 6:30 pm.
- The Nor'Easters host No. 8 Bowdoin in a battle of nationally ranked teams on September 6.
(Parts of this release courtesy University of New England)