MEDFORD, Mass. - The Keene State men's lacrosse team dropped a 24-10 decision to No. 9 Tufts on Tuesday night at Bello Field.
- Keene State: 1-2
- No. 9 Tufts: 2-0
How It Happened
Tufts held a 6-0 lead at the end of the first quarter, but Keene State fired back with a goal in the first minute of the second stanza with a strike from senior Hunter Arnold. The Jumbos extended their lead to seven after back to back goals. The Owls responded with two straight goals, as Arnold finished off a feed from senior Paul Beling and sophomore Dave Wiedenfeld found the back of the net off a pass from sophomore Anthony Marcella to push the score to 8-3, Tufts, yet the Jumbos continued to keep the Owls at bay by scoring two consecutive goals for another seven point advantage. Keene State would come as close as five in the second quarter as junior Mitch Hale scored off an assist from sophomore Connor Nolan and Anrold tallied his third goal of the game to make the score, 10-5, Tufts, before the two teams went into the break with the Jumbos leading the Owls, 12-5.
Keene State would come within six in the remaining minutes, but Tufts continued to widen the gap in the final two stanzas to seal the victory.
Inside the Box
- For the Owls, Arnold notched a team-high four goals, two ground balls and one caused turnover, followed by three goals from Wiedenfeld and two assists from Beling. Freshman Matthew Lemke won 24-of-37 face-offs and grabbed a game-high 10 ground balls.
- Danny Murphy racked up three goals and five assists for the Jumbos, while Andrew Seiter registered three goals and two assists.
- In net, senior Mathew Howe made 13 saves for Keene State, while Mason Pollack finished with 16 saves over 53:25 minutes for Tufts, before Robert Treiber made one save in the remaining time.
- The Owls held a 54-50 shot advantage over the Jumbos and won 24-of-38 face-offs, while Tufts held the edge in ground balls, 31-28.
- Keene State will travel to Orlando, Florida and play Nichols on Monday, March 12th at 5:00 p.m.
- Tufts will head to Stevens on Saturday, March 10th for a 12:00 p.m. contest.