NEW HAMPTON, N.H. - The Keene State College men's lacrosse team won their fifth straight, as they took down Plymouth State 17-7 at the New Hampton School.
- Keene State: 7-5 (6-0 LEC)
- Plymouth State: 4-6 (3-1 LEC)
How It Happened
The first quarter consisted of neither team establishing much of an offensive rhythm, but Bobby Carey struck first for the Owls at the 5:39 mark. Carey continued his dominant individual quarter a minute later with his second, off a Joe Nutting assist. Carey then completed his first quarter hat-trick unassisted to give KSC a 3-0 lead. The Panthers finally got on the board at the 1:48 mark, when Connor Delea blasted in a goal to make it a 3-1 game at the end of one.
Keene State bounced right back in the second quarter with two straight goals, the first coming from Jordan Caito off a Dave Wiedenfeld pass. The second goal came from Joe Nutting unassisted, before Casey Elkins answered back to cut the score to 5-2 for Plymouth. Noah DeGoursey then scored a fantastic solo goal off a long distance shot to bring the lead to 6-2 for the Owls heading into the half.
The Owls offense showed up big time in the third quarter, after the hosts grabbed the opener through Paul Luongo. KSC rang off seven straight goals to put the contest out of reach, as Nutting scored off a Wiedenfeld helper. Bobby Carey then added his fourth off a Marcella pass and Marcella scored an unassisted goal to give the Owls a 9-3 lead. Carey then grabbed another goal off a feed from JJ Downey, before Nutting scored his hat-trick off a Haeden Finerty pass. At the 5:34 mark, Anthony Marcella got on the board off a Nutting pass before Bobby Carey added his sixth goal of the game to bring the lead to 13-3.
Almost five minutes into the fourth quarter, Plymouth responded with two straight goals as Luongo and Chase Mercier cut the lead to 13-5. The Owls came right back with four straight goals as JJ Downey got on the board. Wiedenfeld then scored off a Carey pass, Steve Hamel scored his first and Wiedenfeld added another off a feed from Connor Nolan. At the 3:14 mark, the Panthers grabbed a goal through Chris Waterbury and another from Delea to make it a 17-7 game. But that was the final scoring play, as KSC came away with their fifth straight win, and stayed perfect in the LEC.
Inside the Crease
- Bobby Carey had a career day scoring six goals with one assist. Joe Nutting finished with three goals and two assists, Dave Wiedenfeld had two goals with two helpers.
- Connor Delea led Plymouth State with two goals and two assists, Paul Luongo added two goals.
- Chase Chamberlin picked up the win in net making five saves. Robert Porter had 22 saves in the loss.
- Keene State dominated in the face off circle winning 21 of 26. The Owls scooped up 27 ground balls to PSU's 12.
- KSC outshot Plymouth 55 to 31.
- Keene State heads back home, for their final regular season match against Western Connecticut on Saturday, April 20 at 3:00 p.m. With a win over West Conn, KSC can clinch the number one seed for the LEC tournament.
- Plymouth State heads to UMass Boston on Saturday, April 20 for a 4:00 p.m. start.