KEENE, N.H. – The Keene State men's soccer squad overcame an early deficit and being down a man to defeat Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute 2-1 in non-conference action on Wednesday afternoon.
- Keene State: 4-3-0
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute: 2-4-1
How It Happened
The Owls were on the attack early, off of a Keene State corner kick and were about to score, but were caught offsides inside the box. RPI got on the board in the 21st minute, as Austin Betterly's shot from the top of the box that glanced off the Keene State's goalie fingertips and in.
KSC scored the equalizer in the 33rd minute as Wesley MacIntosh was fouled in the box by the Engineers' keeper setting up a penalty kick for the Owls. MacIntosh drove the ball into the lower left corner of the cage, just beating the diving goalie.
Keene State nearly took the lead in the 60th minute, when Jack Herlihy took a shot from a close angle but was denied by the RPI netminder. Rensselaer received a penalty kick of their own in the 80th minute but was stonewalled by Anthony Pasciuto.
With just under four minutes remaining in regulation, Samuel Binogono weaved through the Engineer defense and score the game-winning goal as he chipped it over the RPI goalie.
Inside the Box
- Pasciuto made two saves in the final 45 minutes to pick up the win for the Owls, while Luke Brezak recorded a pair of stops in the loss.
- RPI had one more shot than Keene State (9-8) but had a 6-2 advantage in the corner kick column.
- Keene State played a man down for the final 26:20.
- The Owls' snapped a three-game losing skid to the RPI Engineers and increases their lead in the all-time series to 9-7-2.
- Keene State returns to Little East Conference action as they host UMass Dartmouth on Wednesday, September 26th at 6:30 p.m.
- RPI is back in action on Saturday, September 22nd when they host Bard College in their Liberty League opener at 4 p.m.