SALEM, Mass.- The Keene State Owls men's soccer team came out triumphant in their first game of the 2019 campaign, defeating the Salem State Vikings 3-2 at Alumni Field.
- Keene State: 1-0-0
- Salem State: 0-0-1
How it Happened:
Keene State grabbed ahold of the play early in the game, setting the pace for the remainder of the contest. The Owls' first scoring chance came in the opening minute when James McCully took a shot on net that was gathered by Salem State's goalie Christopher Jimenez. KSC broke through in the 21st minute when forward Connor Downey took a shot that sailed past Jimenez, putting the Owls up 1-0.
The Owls would get more chances at goal in the first half, but Salem's defense and goalie were up to the task. Keene put up 10 shots in the first half with seven of them on goal. Salem State was only able to accumulate three shots with one on goal.
Scoring would pick up in the second half, as the Owls quickly got on the board in the 47th minute when Emmanuel Smith picked up his first goal of the season on a beautiful feed through the box by McCully. Seven minutes later, the Owls would grab their third and final goal of the night off a free kick that was passed to Declan Coughlin for his first collegiate goal. Salem State would pick up two goals late in the game, the last of which coming with 56 seconds left, but Keene State held on for a 1-0 start in 2019.
Inside the Box:
- Both the Owls and Vikings combined for one goal in the first half but came alive in the second half scoring a combined four goals.
- Keene State outshot Salem State by a wide 20-7 margin, with the Owls putting 10 shots on goal and the Vikings four.
- Owls goalkeeper Nate Howard was not tested very much, making one save on the night.
- Emmanuel Smith led the way for the Owls in the shot department putting up nine total shots, registering five on goal.
- Keene State recorded the first three goals of the game, Salem State answered with the next two on the night.
- Vikings Ryan Smith picked up a goal on his only shot of the game.
- Keene State will return to action tomorrow against Pine Manor College as part of the Salem State Men's Soccer Classic. Kickoff is set for 4:00 pm.
- Salem State also returns to action tomorrow at home against Emerson College. Kickoff is set for 1:00 pm.