GORHAM, Me.- The Keene State Owls men's soccer team collected two goals from Connor Downey, giving the Owls a 3-2 victory in the final regular season game of the season.
- Keene State: 13-6-0 (6-2-0 LEC)
- Southern Maine: 0-15-3 (0-7-1 LEC)
How it Happened:
Connor Downey got the Owls on the board in the 3rd minute of the game. Downey was able to strip the ball off an opposing player and dribble the ball into the box before taking a shot that found the bottom left corner, giving the Owls the early 1-0 lead. Downey picks up his 7th goal of the season.
Southern Maine would earn the better of the chances moving forward, as GK Anthony Pasciuto was tested often by the Huskies in the early goings. KSC would also continue to put pressure on GK Dalton Cassidy, but no goals would get by the two keepers at the midway point of the first half. Southern Maine would tally two late goals to end the first half as Noah Perry would pick up the Huskies first goal of the afternoon. Yassin Mahmoud made a short pass to Noah Perry who took one dribble inside the box and saw the ball deflect off an Owls defender and find its way into the back of the net, tying the game at one.
Just eight minute later, with time winding down in the half, Keene State was penalized for a handball inside the box giving the Huskies a penalty shot opportunity. Joseph Kalilwa took a shot that deflected off the left post and rolled over the line, giving the Huskies the 2-1 lead heading into the second half.
Five minutes into the second half, Keene State was awarded their own penalty shot after the Huskies were called for a foul inside the box. Emmanuel Smith took a shot with his left foot that found the back of the net, tying the game at two. Southern Maine would put up an attack on the Owls mid-way through the second half, but Anthony Pasciuto came away with multiple saves in the half, keeping the game tied at two.
In the 66th minute, Connor Downey would give the Owls their second lead of the game when Dale Dubinsky took a shot that was saved by GK Dalton Cassidy that then bounced off Cassidy and into the air where Connor Downey was able to make an acrobatic play on the ball that found its way into the twine. KSC took the 3-2 lead.
Southern Maine would have no answers for the goal scored by Downey, as Anthony Pasciuto came away with five saves in the second half and seven saves overall in the contest, giving the Owls the 3-2 victory in the final regular season game of the year.
Inside the Box:
- Connor Downey picked up his 7th and 8th goals of the season this afternoon. Downey marks a career high in goals, which was previously set at six in the 2018 campaign.
- KSC out-shot Southern Maine 16-14 in the game. GK Anthony Pasciuto came away with seven saves in the win. Huskies GK Dalton Cassidy suffered the loss after picking up four saves, all in the first half.
- Keene State improves to 23-6-4 all-time against Southern Maine with this afternoon's win.
- The Huskies Noah Perry and Joseph Kalilwa came away with four shots each in the game, one finding the back of the net for each of them in their regular season finale.
- KSC will host a semi-final game on Thursday, November 7 against the winner of UMass Dartmouth and Rhode Island College. The Owls will be the #2 seed in the upcoming LEC playoffs. Southern Maine has been eliminated from playoff contention after suffering a 0-15-3 record this season.
- #2 Keene State will get a first-round bye and host a semi-final game on Thursday, November 7.
- Southern Maine's season has come to an end after not qualifying for the playoffs in the 2019 season.