KEENE, N.H. - UMass Dartmouth stretched a one-point halftime lead to double digits with a dominant third quarter and went on to beat the Keene State College women's basketball team 70-43 in LEC action Saturday afternoon at Spaulding Gymnasium.
- Keene State: 2-8, 0-3 LEC
- UMass Dartmouth: 7-1, 3-0 LEC
How It Happened
Emily McPadden was the only Owl in double-figures with 10 points, three rebounds and three assists. Lilly Shlimon and Jasmin Mitchell each had seven points, with Shlimon adding three rebounds and an assist. Kenzie Bennett had a team-high seven rebounds. UMass Dartmouth had three double-figure scorers, led by Shaelyn Carreiro's 16 points. Nakira Examond had 13 points and 12 rebounds.
It was a close game early on, as a jumper from McPadden made it 5-4 UMD at the 6:14 mark, and Hien Thach's three a minute later tied the game at seven. The Corsairs pulled away for the moment with a 7-0 run that made it 14-7 and eventually led 17-13 after one. The scoring slowed considerably in the second quarter as only two total points were scored in the first five minutes, a layup from UMD's Carreiro. The Corsairs led by six with 4:02 to go and still were up by five (24-19) with just over a minute on the clock, but Keene State got within one (25-24) at the half after a jumper and a three from McPadden as time expired.
UMass Dartmouth went inside to Examond for two buckets in the opening moments of the second half and rapidly pulled away with a 9-0 run to take a 36-26 lead. The Owls got back within eight after Bennett's layup at the 5:42 mark, but a 14-3 run made it 50-31 Corsairs after three. The visitors got 10 points from Carreiro in the quarter and shot 57% from the floor while making 8-of-9 free throws. Their shooting did not slow in the final quarter, as they made 8-of-15 from the floor and 3-of-5 from distance to prevent any KSC comeback.
Inside the Paint
- Keene State shot 16-of-47 (34%) in the game and made 6-of-19 (32%) from distance, while UMass Dartmouth finished at 44% (22-of-55) overall after shooting just 6-of-26 in the opening half. They made 6-of-18 (33%) from three.
- The Owls had 29 turnovers and UMD 18. The Corsairs had a wide 27-8 advantage in points off miscues.
- UMD had a 36-29 edge on the glass.
- KSC has lost the last three head-to-head meetings against UMass Dartmouth, last defeating them in the semifinals of the 2017 Little East Tournament.
- Keene State is not in action again until Saturday, December 29 when they travel to Middlebury College for their first road game of the season. Tip-off is at 2:00 pm.
- UMass Dartmouth goes to Johnson & Wales University (R.I.) on Tuesday, December 11 at 5:30 pm.