Women's Lacrosse Edged By MIT In Overtime, 16-15

Women's Lacrosse Edged By MIT In Overtime, 16-15

KEENE, N.H. - Despite a five-point performance from both senior Tori Weinstock and junior Chelsea Lewis, the Keene State women's lacrosse program dropped an overtime decision to MIT, 16-15, in the season and home opener at the Owl Athletic Complex on Wednesday afternoon.


  • Keene State: 0-1
  • MIT: 1-0

How It Happened 

MIT opened the first half with six consecutive goals to grab the lead with 16:42 to go, capped off by an unassisted tally from Jack Simmons, before Keene State got on the board with a strike from Ali Daisy with 13:38 remaining. The Engineers fired back to regain their six-point lead, as Ana Flooks found Katie Notarangelo, to push the score to 7-1, MIT, yet the Owls did not back down, as Weinstock scored back to back goals with helpers from senior Taylor Farland and sophomore Gabby Smith.

Keene State continued to cut their deficit as Lewis found a cutting Smith, before converting a free position shot of her own, to make the score 7-5, MIT. The Engineers were able to maintain their advantage going into the break, as MIT led 9-7 as time expired in the first stanza. 

MIT fired off three straight goals to begin the second half, as Allison Pinto netted two and Notarangelo added one, to widen their lead to five, before Daisy got the Owls' offense going with a goal at the 20:50 to go mark. Just 32 seconds later, Weinstock buried a free position opportunity to make the score 12-9, MIT, but Notarangelo responded by finishing a feed from Pinto to give the Engineers a four-goal advantage.

With 12:27 remaining, Farland drove on the leftside and found the back of the net, before Lewis found a cutting Weinstock, who tucked a shot past MIT's goalkeeper Hannah Adams to make it a two-goal game. The Engineers extended their lead back to three as Pinto finished off a feed from Emily Young, before a strike from Weinstock off a pass from sophomore Sarah Melvin sparked a four-goal spurt for the Owls, capped off by a converted free position opportunity from Lewis, to grab a one-goal advantage and their first lead of the game with 2:40 remaining in the second half. With only 14 seconds remaining, Ana Flooks converted a free position chance to force the game into overtime tied at 15. 

Just 36 seconds into the first overtime period, Flooks finished off a feed from Young to seal the victory for the Engineers. 

Inside the Box 

  • For the Owls, Weinstock finished the game with five goals, three ground balls, four caused turnovers and two draw controls, while Lewis tallied three goals and two assists. Farland had a team-high four draw controls and added three goals with one assist. 
  • For the Engineers, Young produced a seven-point performance with five goals and two assists, along with five draw controls. Notorangelo had a game-high 11 draw controls and chipped in three goals and one assist with two caused turnovers. 
  • Keene State held a 22-15 advantage in ground balls over MIT, while the Engineers earned 22 draw controls to the Owls' 11. Keene State went four-for-four in free position shots. 

Up Next 

  • Keene State will continue its non-conference play at home with a contest against Roger Williams on Saturday, March 3rd at 1:00 p.m.
  • MIT will return home for a matchup against Plymouth State on Saturday at 1:15 pm.