KEENE, N.H. - The Keene State women's lacrosse team suffered a 12-8 setback to Roger Williams on Saturday afternoon at the Owl Athletic Complex in a non-conference contest.
- Keene State: 0-2
- Roger Williams: 2-0
How It Happened
Roger Williams grabbed a quick lead as Kaelin Hogan finished off a feed from Shayne Rivard just 1:49 into the game. At the 25:51 to go mark, Keene State answered back as sophomore Chelsea Lewis connected with senior Tori Weinstock, as the midfielder's strike evened the score at one. Back and forth goals pushed the score to two all, as Carly Martin converted a free position chance for the Hawks, while sophomore Tess Masci found the back of the net for the Owls. Roger Williams made it a 4-2 contest after back to back goals, as Hogan scored off an assist from Delana Erickson followed by a strike from Emily Stoeppel off a feed from Hogan. Keene State fired back less than a minute later, as senior Taylor Farland registered her fourth goal of the season to cut the Owls' deficit for one. Neither team could find the back of the net in the remaining minutes, as the two sides went into the break with a score of 4-3, RWU.
The Hawks opened up the second half with three consecutive goals to grab a 7-3 advantage with 26:18 remaining on the clock, before Farland found an open Masci to get the Owls on the board with 18:39 to go in the second stanza. Roger Williams regained their four-point lead less than a minute later, as Devon Sarazin connected with Stoeppel to push the score to 8-4, RWU. Both teams remained scoreless for just under seven minutes, before Ali Daisy was able to break the scoring drought at the 11:05 mark. The freshman attack finished off a feed from sophomore Gabby Smith, followed by a goal from Masci, as the sophomore midfielder converted a free-position opportunity, to bring the Owls within two with 7:29 on the clock. Despite the Keene State run, Roger Williams scored three straight goals to extend their lead to five with 4:06 to go in the second half. The Owls were able to come within four in the remaining minutes with a goal from Weinstock, before the Hawks received a strike from Hogan in the final minute to seal the win, yet a last-second goal from Lewis pushed the final score to 12-8, RWU.
Inside the Box
- Masci scored a career-high three goals for the Owls and had two ground balls and two draw controls. Weinstock followed with two goals and Smith chipped in three assists for Keene State.
- For the Hawks, Hogan posted an eight-point performance with five goals and three assists, while Devon Sarazin added one goals with four assists.
- In net, Lydia Nelson registered 11 saves for RWU, while junior Anna O'Brien made six saves for KSC.
- Each team picked up 15 grounds ball, while Keene State held a slight advantage of 28 shots to Roger Williams' 24.
- Keene State will travel to Amherst on Wednesday, March 7th for a 6:00 p.m. contest.
- Roger Williams will head to MIT on Wednesday for a non-conference game, beginning at 4:00 p.m.