NORTON, Mass. - The Keene State women's lacrosse program outscored Wheaton in the second half, but ultimately fell to the Lyons, 10-7, on Friday afternoon at the Diane C. Nordin Field.
- Keene State: 0-4
- Wheaton: 1-2
How It Happened
Wheaton got onto the board quickly after converting two free position opportunities, but Keene State fired back with three consecutive goals as sophomore Sarah Melvin connected with junior Chelsea Lewis and a pair of goals from junior Emily Parker and senior Taylor Farland pushed the score to 3-2 in favor of the Owls with 12:43 remaining in the first half. The Lyons responded with a four-goal run to grab a 6-3 advantage with 3:00 minutes to go, before a strike from Lewis with 1:18 on the clock brought Keene State within two. Wheaton finished off the stanza with two goals in the final minute, as the two teams went into halftime with the Lyons holding a 8-4 lead.
Opening the second half, Farland scored off a feed from Melvin, followed by a goal from sophomore Tess Masci with an assist from Parker to bring the Owls within two with 23:55 to go. Neither team scored over the next 17 minutes, until Lewis added her third goal of the game with an unassisted tally with 6:32 remaining to cut Keene State's deficit to one. Wheaton scored the final two goals of the game in the remaining minutes for a final tally of 10-7 in favor of the Lyons.
Inside the Box
- For the Owls, Lewis netted a hat-trick and registered two caused turnovers with one ground ball, while Farland added two goals, a game-high five ground balls and three caused turnovers.
- Katie Peters led the way for the Lyons with four goals, four ground balls, five draw controls and three caused turnovers.
- Junior Anna O'Brien made six saves for Keene State, while Jena Casman recorded five stops for Wheaton.
- The Lyons held a 27-18 edge in shots and a 25-13 advantage in ground balls over the Owls.
- Keene State will travel to Port Charlotte, Florida for the upcoming week, as the Owls will take on Salem State on Tuesday, March 13th at 12:30 p.m. and Nazareth on Friday, March 16th at 10:00 a.m.
- Wheaton will also head to Florida and will play Westfield State on Tuesday at 10 a.m.