ENGLEWOOD, Fla. - The Keene State women's lacrosse team led wire to wire on the way to a dominate 17-4 victory over Salem State in the Owls' first win of the 2018 campaign on Tuesday afternoon at the Ann Dever Park.
- Keene State: 1-4
- Salem State: 0-2
How It Happened
Tori Weinstock got the scoring started for the Owls just 1:08 into the game, as the senior midfielder picked up a feed from Ali Daisy, before the freshman attack doubled the score with a goal of her own off an assist from junior Chelsea Lewis. Keene State's lead grew to 5-0 with 21: 28 remaining in the first stanza, as sophomore Gabby Smith, senior Taylor Farland, and sophomore Erica Chareth all found the back of the net, before the Vikings received their first goal of the game with an unassisted tally from Courtney Smith. Back and forth goals pushed the score to 6-2 in favor of the Owls, before Emily Parker sparked a 7-0 run for Keene State to end the first half with a 13-2 lead.
The Owls rattled off two goals to open the second half, as Lewis finished off a pass from sophomore Tess Masci and sophomore Sarah Melvin netted a goal off a feed from Daisy. At the 15:45 to go mark, Salem State notched their first goal of the second half for a score of 15-3, before Lewis answered with her third goal of the game. Just 1:13 later, the Vikings tacked one more goal, before the Owls netted the final goal of the game as Melvin connected with Daisy with 6:45 remaining to seal the win for Keene State.
Inside the Crease
- Daisy racked up a career-high six points for the Owls with three goals and three assists, while Melvin tallied a career-high four assists and added one goal. Weinstock registered two goals, one assist, three ground balls, four draw controls and four caused turnovers.
- For the Vikings, C. Smith recorded a team-high three goals and Rose Sullivan grabbed two ground balls, one draw control and three caused turnovers.
- Anna O'Brien and Joanna Steinhauer split time in the net for Keene State, as O'Brien made two saves to earn the win, while Gianna DeNisco recorded eight saves in the loss.
- The Owls held a commanding 31-8 advantage in shots and a 15-4 edge in draw controls over the Vikings.
- Keene State will now gear up to battle with Nazareth in their final game of their Florida trip on Friday, March 16th for a 10:00 a.m. matchup.
- Salem State will take on Ohio Wesleyan at 12:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 15th.