CASTLETON, VT.- The Keene State Owls women's soccer team opened up conference play on Saturday suffering a 3-0 defeat at the hands of the Castleton Spartans.
Keene State: 2-2-0
Castleton State: 4-2-0
How it Happened:
Castleton State came out with the attack early in the game and put the pressure on the Owls right from the starting kickoff. The Spartans were able to strike first in the 24thminute when Makenzi Bellando took a shot from six yards out and netted the Spartans first goal of the game. For Bellando, it is her third goal of the young season. Keene State would get chances at the goal as Amanda Marshall collected her first two shots in the first half but saw superb goaltending by the Spartans Loren Henderson. Henderson collected three saves in the first half. The Owls were able to out shoot the Spartans in the first half, putting up nine to the Spartans eight.
Castleton would score early in the second half when Rylee Nichols put up her conference leading sixth tally of the season when Julie Carone made a pass to Nichols inside the box and Nichols was able to find the twine giving the Spartans the two-goal cushion. Keene State would come with some pressure of their own as Amanda Marshall would find the only shot on goal for the Owls in the second half, but the Spartans goalkeeper played strong.
The Spartans got their final goal of game late in the second half when Makenzie Bellando picked up an assist on the first goal of the season from Taylor Mann. The Spartans strong defense was shown in the contest, limiting the Owls to just four shots on goal in the 90 minutes of play. Keene State would fall in their first conference game of the season 3-0.
Inside the Box:
- Makenzi Bellando picked up a goal and an assist in the win for the Spartans. She now totals ten points on the season.
- The Owls were led by Amanda Marshall who put up five total shots in the game, as well as Victoria Reynolds who shot two times, both hitting the target.
- Keene's Shelby Offord picked up four saves in the loss this afternoon. Her counterpart Loren Henderson also accumulated four saves.
- The Owls will return to non-conference play as they will travel to Westfield State on Wednesday September 18 for a 7:00 pm game time.
- The Spartans will hit the road next Saturday for another conference matchup, this time with the Beacons of UMass Boston. Kickoff is at 2:00 pm.