KEENE, N.H.- The Keene State Owls women's soccer team saw themselves fall behind 2-0 early in the contest but came back with two goals in the first half and two goals in the second half for an explosive 4-2 victory over The Sage Colleges Gators 4-2.
- Keene State: 9-8-0
- The Sage Colleges: 7-10-0
How it Happened:
The Gators wasted very little time in the contest to get on the board as their leading goal scorer Natalie Ricci dribbled past a few defenders on the backline for KSC and ripped a shot into the bottom left corner of the net giving The Sage Colleges the 1-0 early lead. Sage would apply pressure on the Owls starting GK Shelby Offord in the first half. Just twelve minutes later, the Gators would come away with another goal off the same foot and same player as their first. Natalie Ricci would pounce on a loose ball on the goal line and watch the ball squeak over the line for the Gators second goal of the evening. Kristin Silk came away with her first assist of the season. The Owls saw themselves down 2-0 just 16 minutes into the contest.
The Owls would catch a break when a handball was committed inside the box, which resulted in a penalty shot for KSC. Maggie Vogt was called upon, and she delivered beating The Sage Colleges GK Kallan Shertzer to the lower left corner of the net, cutting the Gators deficit in half. KSC would apply pressure on Shertzer for the final 30 minutes of the first half and would be rewarded just 12 minutes after their first goal to come back and tie the game.
Keene's Kayleigh Marshall found goal in the 39th minute of the game when Alex Kennedy took a free kick that she sent into the box. Marshall would make a run into the box and see the soaring ball bounce off her left leg and trickle over the goal line to get the Owls right back in the game, tying it at two. KSC would finish the first half with 13 shots, with GK Kallan Shertzer making seven saves in the half. Shelby Offord would see nine shots come her way in the first half, while she made four saves.
KSC's offense would spark again in the second half, but GK Kallan Shertzer would keep The Sage Colleges in the game, making a handful of saves. Keene State would finally get to Shertzer and the line of defense late in the second half when Patricia Norton was able to take a loose ball and dribble through multiple defenders inside the box and take a shot with her left foot and put the ball into the top right side of the net, giving the Owls their first lead of the contest.
Just five minutes later, the Owls would strike for their fourth and final goal of the night, as Victoria Reynolds would pick up her fourth goal of the season. She was able to shoot the ball from just inside the box and put it past a diving GK Shertzer, giving the Owls the 4-2 lead, a lead they saw until the end. KSC would pick up the first victory over The Sage Colleges in their inaugural meeting.
Inside the Box:
- KSC would pelt GK Kallan Shertzer with shots all evening. The Gators freshman GK came away with 14 saves, a mark she has only done one other time prior. Keene State outshot the Gators 27-16.
- Patricia Norton picked up the game winning goal in the 75th minute of the game, it is Norton's fourth goal of the season, and first since October 8 against Framingham State.
- The Sage College's Natalie Ricci opened the scoring in the contest, and then added the next goal in the contest as well picking up goals nine and ten on the season. She leads her team in that category and is fourth in the Empire 8 conference.
- GK's Shelby Offord and Abbie Terrinca split the 90 minutes, with Offord picking up the start and Terrinca finishing off the evening, combining for six saves for the Owls in the victory.
- The Owls are 1-0 all time against The Sage Colleges, with this evenings contest being the first meeting between these two teams.
- Keene State will finish out the regular season with a home contest against the Huskies of Southern Maine. The Owls will also honor their 2019-20 senior class. Kick-off set for 12:00 pm on Saturday, November 2.
- The Sage Colleges will wrap up the regular season on the road when they take on Empire 8 competitor Hartwick College. That game is also slated to begin at 12:00 pm.